There are some insurers who will try to take advantage of clients who make a claim without any attorney by using various tactics to manipulate them into accepting a low settlement. Here are some of them:
Deliberately Delaying the Claims Process
- Failing to return phone calls, ignoring messages and taking several weeks to respond to inquiries.
- Bouncing the claimant between various staff members.
- Claiming that the investigation isn’t complete and being slow to request information.
- Falsely claiming that approval from a higher-up is required to proceed.
- Implying that the offered settlement is a “take it or leave it” deal and making up false acceptance deadlines.
- Falsely claiming that the file will be closed if the insured doesn’t accept the offer.
- Making veiled threats to discourage claimant from using an attorney.
Not Disclosing Coverage
- Suggesting to use private health insurance instead.
- Asking claimant to get rides from friends instead of paying for a rental car as per the policy.
- Asking claimant to use vacation time or sick leave instead of paying for lost wages.
- Ignoring vehicle damage that isn’t readily apparent in photos.
- Using biased doctors for medical exams.
- Fabricating reasons to deny coverage.
- Reducing the value of property damage.
- Using artificially low liability assessments.
- Not accounting for all medical expenses and lost wages.